The Goal of the East Asia Institute is to assist teachers in making East Asia an integral and permanent part of their curriculum. We promote Chinese, Japanese, South Korean, and Vietnamese cultures in every school in Oklahoma. Provide opportunities for students to participate in events and educational activities that will increase their knowledge and appreciation of East Asian cultures. Some of our initiatives include:
- Professional development for K-12 teachers and principals
- Simulcasts with experts in East Asian languages and cultures
- Sister school relationships with student and teacher exchanges
- Chinese language after school programs
- Support services for Chinese language programs
The East Asia Institute is housed at the University of Oklahoma Schusterman Center in Tulsa, OK. It works in conjunction with the Confucius Institute* at OU-Norman and the National Consortium for Teaching About Asia.